About

This blog is a celebration of novel, novel characters!

I love reading novels, and as an artist I know a great exercise to stretch one's illustration skills is to portray characters from a description in a book. This blog is a challenge to myself to do just that so I'll be posting illustrations from whatever book I'm currently reading. Feel free to add comments and send me your fan art for these great titles too!

Friday, February 21, 2014

Cordelia & Bernard from “Pieces of the Heart” by Bonnie S. Calhun



“Pieces of the Heart” is a story about love, but it’s not your typical romance novel.  The book spans a good portion of the main characters’ lives from before WWII, through it, and then after.  It’s a story about healing, compassion, and trust in God.

When I picked up the book I thought because of its length it would be a light read, but the depth of character Bonnie poured into each page caused me to slow down and ponder over the stories' events.  It’s a more serious story than a lot of the books I read, but very heartfelt, and I found myself completely immersed.  I am very glad I read it.  At the beginning of the story, Cordelia is 13 and running away from bullies when Bernard comes to her rescue.  From that moment on, Cordelia loves Bernard and through the entire story, her feelings never waver.

This was inspired by the opening scene where Bernard comes to Cordelia's rescue.  I found myself playing around with Photoshop brushes as I made this, trying to get a more emotional feeling with the bold, loose outlines.  Think it worked? 
Bernard overcame his anger towards his abusive father with God’s help, but when he goes to War his faith suffers.  He’s also loved Cordelia from their first meeting on, but after the war he’s tormented by what took place and is unable to move forward living life normally again.  By God’s grace, where Bernard’s faith has wavered, Cordelia’s has grown.  Working on the pinecone quilt her grandmother started, she pours her heart out to God with each stitch.  The quilt becomes a symbol of the covering over her life, of the love from her Grandmother, and of God’s faithfulness.  Although life for both Bernard & Cordelia is never perfect or easy, God is able to use them to be a support to each other.

“Pieces of the Heart” is a beautiful and tragic story about relationships and the effects of war.  Yet, through all the pain and imperfections of life God’s perfect love shines through in this story, and that’s what truly makes it worth the read.


Fun Fact: Bonnie modeled Bernard & Cordelia after her parents.  In her book trailer she uses photos of them!


-Monica



4 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for all of your hard work on the review and the characters. I feel their emotions! Great artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this book! I love WWII stories. I love the trailer, and I've always loved the idea of a girl falling in love and that love lasting all her life.

    And you definitely get a story from your picture. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete