About

This blog is a celebration of novel, novel characters!

I love reading novels, and as an artist I know a great exercise to stretch one's illustration skills is to portray characters from a description in a book. This blog is a challenge to myself to do just that so I'll be posting illustrations from whatever book I'm currently reading. Feel free to add comments and send me your fan art for these great titles too!

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Silmarillion Project

Check out this great artwork I recently discovered by an artist named Dresden Codak!  I love what he's been doing with his blog by creating at least one drawing for every chapter of Tolkien's Silmarillion.  I confess, I've never read it, but I'd certainly like to.  These drawings really get me excited about it.

I love that Dresden has been embracing his own artistic style and vision for the book.  Since Peter Jackson's movie versions are so predominant it would be easy to do drawings in the style of the movies, but instead Dresden has created a whole new look to the Tolkien world.  To see all of his art to date, check out his website:

http://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/


 

Every chapter of J.R.R. Tolkien's Silmarillion, as illustrated by Dresden Codak author Aaron Diaz

Great stuff!

-Monica



No comments:

Post a Comment